söndag 12 december 2010

Darkness and Light

Tomorrow morning, in just a few hours really, I am getting up at Unholy AM, putting a wreath of greenery in my hair, putting on a white nightgown-like robe and going to sing with my choir for firefighters, students, and shoppers. This holiday celebrates the light shining in the darkness. In two weeks comes the winter solstice. The longest night of the year. And on the morning after, the light begins to chip away at the darkness.
Don't get me wrong, I love the night time. I really really love that the sun goes down at 3 pm here in Sweden. The beauty of the night is truly stunning. People burn candles and hang beautiful star lanterns, downtown is all overdone in bright light displays, and the stars themselves are so clear. There is something so magical about it all.
But at the same time, the return of the light is a powerful idea. How do you keep the light in your life? When everything around you is dark, what things keep that flame from flickering out?  Our world can be a harsh place, and sometimes it is so hard to remember the good. But it is SO important to. The cliche about the smallest candle can still shine through the darkness, I believe it. Find that joy, find something good, and don't let go. Better yet, share it.
I am not a morning person. Anyone that knows me well (ok, knows me at all) can attest to that. I am sure that I will glare at the world as I stumble down the icy hill, under the early morning stars, to the tram, thermos of coffee clutched to my chest. However, I am truly glad to do it. I am going to be singing with some really wonderful ladies, celebrating the light in the darkness, and hopefully making people's day a little brighter.
Those little things are how I keep the light in my life. And I am so grateful for the chance to do it.
Hitta ljus och hålla den!

2 kommentarer:

  1. Lovely <3
    This is beautiful Sondra!

    PS read my wintery poem on my FB notes

    SvaraRadera
  2. Wonderful Post Sondra!! I've been having a rough time, lately - the stress of the holidays, and all that. So I really appreciate your theme! It's so true!

    Thanks for being the light in my darkness today :D

    SvaraRadera